Friday, August 29, 2008

I Am Like a Hurricane

I've stolen a few minutes at a coffee shop to blog, while my friend Jennifer sits Bodhi for a few hours. I'll go teach my 4:30 class, then Sanieh and I will lead a practice that is a fundraiser/benefit for our beloved Jenn Wooten and her mother Ann, who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. And has no insurance. So 7:30 pm at YYNW. We're asking 20 bucks.

If you are unable to attend but would like to donate, you can set up a secure account and donate directly through paypal by going to www.paypal.com – clicking "send money" and enter to: jennwooten@hotmail.com.

My own mother had breast cancer in 1997. I moved from Los Angeles back to Houston to take care of her, to nurse her through surgery and chemo. She conquered it, but it really came at great cost. Edema sucks. She has an infected implant, and is actually in surgery as I write this, having it removed.

I'm having a little PTSD with Hurricane Gustav coming in. Katrina was devastating. And then Rita walloped my entire family. And of course this weekend is the "anniversary" of Katrina. I drove with my aunt and uncle through Lousiana backroads to rescue my mother after Rita; she and my grandmother fled to north Louisiana to stay with cousins up there. I have not been to New Orleans since Katrina struck; it is a place that I hold dear in my soul. I know, I can feel, the sadness and the resilience of that part of the state. East Texas and SW Louisiana have still not recovered from Rita.

I've been off my center all day long. I have this belief that we human beings are very sensitive, and that if there is strange weather or mishap in our immediate family of loved ones and friends, we can feel it.

So while Gustav churns out there in the ocean, I churn here at my keyboard.

Meanwhile, BARACK OBAMA 08.

2 comments:

Amy E. said...

I hope everything comes back into balance for you, soon. I, too, have family down in hurricane country and am keeping an eye on Gustav. What a horrible thing to happen again to such a devastated area.

My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer several years ago and she too had no insurance. She went to M.D. Anderson and they hooked her up with a breast cancer charity that funded almost all of her treatment. Perhaps your friend's mom would be interested in speaking to her or I could forward some info about getting sponsored?

Also, M.D. Anderson was amazing with my aunt. Really treated her well.

Liz B. said...

Amy,

I hope everyone in your family fared well after Gustav. I have still not heard from everyone, but I think it's okay.

I'd love to get some info on getting sponsored...and why don't you pass on your aunt's info as well? I will pass it on to Ann.

My mom also had a great experience at M.D. Anderson. I really appreciated it. I found the whole team to be quite incredible. Glad to hear your aunt was given such great treatment.

I've heard not-so-great stories about them as well, but I think success stories are really important, perhaps more important than complaints, for people who are facing cancer treatment.


Obligatory Ultrasound Photo: Shoulderstand at 16 weeks!