Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Dear Bodes,

In case you ever somehow read this
I want you to know:
you are an amazing kid.

I can't believe how many times a day you tell me you love me.
How creative, hilarious, inventive and mischievous you are.
You change from costume to costume all day long.
You rock out and make the goofiest faces when you hear
the Black Keys, the White Stripes, and your little kid music.
You cry over sad songs.
You demand that we respect it when you cry. And we do.
You are, right now, uninhibited and free.
You have said, more than once or twice, "I love myself!" and "I love my body!"
I hope to God you retain this for the rest of your life.
I no longer worry about you, how you are going to do with others.
I worry about how the world may try to crush you.
How a bitter child might look askance at you, or envy you, or put shame on you.
I pray your spirit be indomitable, stainless, bullet proof.
I pray you find your tribe of supporters and lovers and friends.
I pray that you know down to the cellular level, down to your soul,
life is a beautiful game.
You're already a winner.
You're perfect just the way you are.
Show me, guide me, teach me
make your passions evident
so that I may nourish them in you,
and give you plenty to go on, more than enough support to
follow them and to realize your dreams.
Over and over.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sobbing. this is so beautiful. what a gift to him. I love you, sister.


Obligatory Ultrasound Photo: Shoulderstand at 16 weeks!