Shoulderstand Baby!
Monday, April 30th, was one of the most profound days of my life. That is why I couldn't blog about it until today.
For weeks now, I've felt certain that the life inside me was a little girl, a mini-me, a feminist babe waiting to be born. I spent hours trolling through baby name websites, searching Italian, French, Latin, Celtic, Aramaic, Hebrew, whatever names for girls. Francesca? Bella? Naomi? Edie? What would it be? The nurse who read the doppler when she heard our baby's heart beating at 158 bpm said, knowingly, "It's a girl." My acupuncturist, disclaiming that she is always wrong, said with a frown, "I could be wrong, and I usually am, but I think it's a girl." Because it took so long to conceive, and we perceived it as being difficult, we assumed that only the stronger fishy could swim all the way up to the waiting egg, which meant a girl.
And then Monday, on the ultrasound table at the clinic, the young nurse who sometimes goes to Yoga Yoga gave us a guided tour of the fetus's anatomy, asking us if we wanted to know the gender.
We had discussed this.
Wise sages in hippie pregnancy books advised, "There are so few surprises left in life...let it be a mystery!" Glib chick-lit-like authors took it for granted that you'd want to know your baby's sex. That strange species of woman who would want to decorate and color-coordinate a nursery would naturally insist on learning the baby's gender. Knowing, humorous pregnancy tomes say that everyone will be asking you this question as soon as you start showing. Friends who are unbelievably cool kept their baby's gender secret from the rest of the world until delivery. We talked it over. And here at compulsiveselfdisclosure.com the only answer was "Yes, of course we want to know the sex of our baby." And then "Yes, of course we want to tell everyone in the universe."
So when the nurse said "It's a boy." I burst into soft, wet tears. Tears of joy. Now the fetus, "it," could be referred to as "him." Our fetus had a pronoun. A whole host of them, in fact. Andrew got teary. We really just want a healthy baby. Cliched as that always sounds, it is one of the few cliches in American life that really holds true.
But having a boy suddenly changes so much in me. My intense loathing of the patriarchy suddenly softens. Wow, I might even be able to contribute a great man to society! I've always dreamed of the sensitive generation of enlightened men who will someday populate the earth, having been raised by feminist moms. World peace instead of world destruction...equal rights for women without being threatened...an end to rape...respect instead of hatred...true empowerment of all instead of power struggling...
With such a loving, tender-hearted, sensitive yet strong father, our son will have a great male role model. And with such a radically feminist, chick-centric mom, he'll have a great female role model. Those are my hopes, anyway. (I feel doubt in my heart after watching an episode of The Bachelor recently, however.) He could be a little martial artist yogi in waiting. He could be a flaming queen fashion designer, a Rufus Wainwright queer boy. He could be an NBA superstar, a world leader, a sad mechanic, a transformational writer, an entrepeneur. Who knows?
All I know is that I got a boy growing inside me. He's already surprising and delighting me, proving once again, in this process, that I am not the one in control. You read all these articles about today's mom picking and choosing her fertility, pregnancy, and labor and delivery times "for her convenience." I even bought into that for a second. But the truth is, there is no such thing as "designer pregnancies." Even if you have in-vitro fertilization, take all the right fertility drugs, schedule your delivery and c-section, plan your meetings and vacations, the baby comes when it's ready.
And I like it.
2 comments:
Hi! Michael from Corpus told me to get on your blog b/c I am an expecting, over 40 mom. In fact, i will be 42 when this punkin shows up, so. . . What is really disheartening is that I was the oldest woman in the ward when my 2nd son was born. i was 39 at the time. Anyway -- i have 2 boys. Both as different from me & each other as possible. The best advice I can give (because everyone gives advice, don't they?) is accept. Accept the person he is & will be. Accept that his birthday will be a cool day -- but really, it is not the best day of your life. That is propaganda. You will have so many best days of your life after he is born. Also -- I know you are a liberal, feminist, activist, vegetarian, progressive, creative, non-smoking, non-drinking woman. (so is our mutual friend Michael & I love her for that). Accept that his birthday is out of your control. And that's OK. I am assuming you are opting for med-free natural birth. I was going to do bradley all the way & was DEVASTATED when i had to have a C-section. DEVASTATED! But in the end, it didn't make a damn bit of difference. I have 2 healthy boys -- both via c-sec -- and am going to have someone here in January, also via c-sec. So accept! And I am enjoying your blog.
Hey, thanks for commenting and for reading my blog. And for the advice. I totally agree with you. The little bean has already been teaching me the beauty of acceptance, and he isn't even here yet!
I have of course been reading all the "natural birth" books, and realize that it is an ideal to give birth drug-free and with as little intervention as possible, perhaps especially for us "older" moms.
I think my favorite thing about "Birthing from Within" and why I'm looking at *that* route for our childbirthing classes, and approach to labor and delivery, is that it seems to be all about acceptance of *whatever* happens!
I hope to give birth in the hospital with my ob, husband and a doula present. I hope to not have to have an epidural, be monitored, or take any drugs. I hope not to have an episiotomy. I realize these are high hopes. What I really hope for is to be able to accept whatever the Divine, Grace, God, whatever you call it, has in store for me.
I am sorry you were devastated by having to deliver by C-section. My heart goes out to you for that. (And I'm thrilled that you have two healthy children, and are having another in January!)I am well aware that delivering by c-section will always be a possibility, in spite of any ideals I might have about drug-free delivery. It's so interesting, because in spite of all the health-nut, holistic-type mamas I know, a significant number of them ended up giving birth in the hospital and yes, even by c-section.
I have been reading about all of this stuff non-stop and I have to question the extremes on both sides: the abject fear and mockery of midwifery and homebirthing, on one end of the extreme, and the deep mistrust and anger toward the medical establishment and medical intervention in childbirth on the other.
I definitely fall somewhere in the middle.
One of the gifts of practicing yoga has been learning how to best align my own little life so that I'm more in the "flow" of all of Life.
And I think that may be another benefit of being an older lady about to give birth. I don't 100 percent follow any particular "expert" advice about anything, ever. I take it all in, contemplate it, reflect on it, discern what feels most true to me, and try to make a decision based on that.
I hope you will continue to read and contribute to the blog. I want to hear all about the progress of your pregnancy. And give Michael my love! I miss her!
Post a Comment