Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Prenatal Fistfight

Today was a pretty good day.

It's my Long Day, where I teach a class at noon and another class at 6 pm. And take a nap in between.

The thing is, I always prepare for at least an hour for every class I teach. Today I was reflecting on a couple of things.

Last night I was reading Muktananda's book, Nothing Exists That Is Not Siva, which is his commentary on several major tantric scriptural verses, like the Siva Sutra, the Guru Gita, and a couple other fancy Sanskrit titles I can't remember off the top of my head...oh yeah, the Spandakarika.

Anyway, I was reading out loud to Tancredo, thinking it would be great for him to hear some philosophy in the womb. And I came across one little phrase, that "in India there is an old story that God hid the key the heaven in the one place no person would ever think to look for it: inside the human heart."

Wow. That really blew me away.

The key to heaven is hidden in the human heart. It's nowhere outside of us.

So that is what I developed into a theme for class today. And it was fun. We worked on handstands and backbends again. And this time, almost everyone in the class kicked up into handstand, and pushed themselves up off of blocks into backbends. Hallelujah!

But I almost got into a fistfight with one of my students. As you know from my last blog entry, I have some strong feelings about what prenatal yoga should be. And I said so right before class. I don't know that she was totally disagreeing with me, but it seemed to be a paradigm adjustment for her to think that perhaps they are overly aggressive in prenatal classes.

Anyway, I won't go back into THAT broken record. Plus it's untested territory at this point.

Another one of my students is a labor and delivery nurse. She brought me a present from a breastfeeding conference she went to last year. It's a breast milk storage system. I have no idea what that means. I am sure I will find out.

Then I picked up some dinner on the way home (I've got to start cooking again, ya'll) and we watched the Season Finale of LOST. It was awesome.

And I was not surprised, yet felt disappointed to learn that Jordin won American Idol. I really liked Blake. But I knew there were too many teens and tweens voting out there for him to win and her to lose.

No comments:

Blog Archive


Obligatory Ultrasound Photo: Shoulderstand at 16 weeks!