Cute stuff #1
I have a fairly gnarly (not cute) sinus infection. Today Bodhi was going wild, running around the house without any pants on, not letting me take off his pajama top, giggling hysterically and in general just being maddeningly adorable. We were both in the bathroom, he of course drawing with his non toxic bathtub crayons (best investment in a toy so far) and getting ready to throw everything from the bathtub onto the floor when....he saw me do the neti pot. I wasn't even thinking about the impact it would have on him. But it certainly did impact him; he stopped cold, mid-throw. The rubber duckie fell to the porcelain with a squeak. "Mama?" It seemed to blow his mind. He was quiet for a full five minutes after that. He even let me help him put on his pants and shoes.
Then it was back to running and biting the backs of my legs. Ouch!
Cute stuff #2
Videos on my iPhone. He loves to use my iPhone to watch movies of himself. He watches them over and over. He says "That's you, that's you," each time, looking at himself and repeating what we always say when we point out the movies we've made of him.
Cute stuff #3
File under: you probably had to be there, but what the hell, I'll try to relate this to you anyway.
I dragged out last year's paltry Halloween decoration collection (purchased at the very last minute at Hobby Lobby, which had been picked clean) with the intention of putting some of the stuff up. Then I left, and came back later, to find that my husband had in fact taped the silly cardboard Dracula to our front window. Bodhi couldn't wait to show it to me when I got home. But not because it excited or amused him. No. Because it was freaking him out. I so recognized that unsure and WTF expression on his face. It was the face of a little kid being scared by a weird and kinda scary (in spite of the smiling bat on his head) vampire. He kept pointing to it and saying "Up!" as in, "Look at that crazy fanged man, pick me up NOW!" I explained to him how Bram Stoker wrote a novel around the turn of the century based on a power mad, greedy and cruel man, and how vampires were the physical expression or cariacturization of certain psychological qualities of human beings; also how there are certain people in the world who seem to suck the life energy right out of us, and vampires represent some of THAT. But he wasn't buying it. Nor the symbolism of dealing with death and being afraid yet safe while the seasons changed and the plants died and the animals hibernated. "Up!" he said after I finished my explanation. And then he learned what the word "scary" meant.
So my husband took that goofy grinning bloodsucker down. Good riddance, Bela!
2 comments:
ah, see, I read Dracula as a thinly veiled expression of homosexual desire. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
Awesome, Liz! I could read YOU all day! Hey, I posted link to your blog on my Austin Stroller Yoga site. Will you post me, too, on your blog under mama resources?
Post a Comment