Thursday, August 30, 2007

Okay, Just So You Know

Went to the obgyn today and all is looking good.

I didn't want to know how much weight I've gained, thanks but no thanks, so I looked the other way while the nurse checked. And I've lost 2 pounds! Wow. Unbelievable. I'm feeling so gigantic. And last night we had a late diner dinner of Boca burgers, salads, and fries.

My blood pressure remains a low 110/60. My swollen feet are not a worry, I just need to drink (even) more water. I've been feeling the Braxton Hicks tightening in my uterus for several days now -- especially under the full moon! -- but they really do come and go. So I'm not as freaked out about them as I was at first.

And then I asked Dr. Weihs to see if she could tell which position my baby was in. After a moment of palpation, she said she thought his head was down, with his shoulder somewhere near the top of my pubic bone -- if there's a rhythmic pulsing there from time to time, and there is, it's usually hiccups and that is usually the shoulder -- plus where she felt the bulge of his butt and the location of his kicks...his back is facing my front, which is what I was hoping for.

I can feel his toes tickling my ribs. A couple of times this has made me cry out in shock. It's just such a strange feeling, and happens so unexpectedly.

Of course babies change positions constantly, even during labor.

Baby moves around a LOT, ya'll. I'm counting his kicks. He is supposed to move 10 times within 2 hours, which I am supposed to check on at least once a day. I usually do this first thing in the morning, and baby likes to sleep first thing in the morning, so I drink a lot of cold water and start jostling him around.


We'll get another detailed ultrasound at 36 weeks to see that he's developing at a blessed rate, and have some tests done.

We had a great, lengthy meeting with our doula last night about birth preferences and creating our birth plan.

Our doc is so flexible and experienced, we feel totally confident that our wishes will be honored.

This is another great thing about being a 43-year old first time mom; I know for a fact that nobody's opinion about what we should do during labor and delivery is going to hurt my feelings if I disagree with it. I also know that I am no pushover.

I have one more thing to say...that I honestly have never longed to be older or younger than the age I am, no matter what age I am. I saw "Stardust" with my BFF Donna the other night, and while I thought it was lovely and escapist, I am really sick and tired of seeing older women portrayed as old ugly witches, longing to be young and beautiful again, and willing to go to any length to do so. I have never felt that way in my life.

I've noticed, sure, that my status as a babe diminished once I hit 25, but I've never longed to be anything other than what I am. Sometimes I am shocked when I see a middle-aged woman in the mirror and realize that it's ME, but I also know that I feel more centered, fulfilled, complete, sexy, all those things, than I ever did before.

I'd love to see women unite on this issue someday. And meanwhile, I still love watching "Rock of Love with Bret Michaels."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you brought up Stardust, becaues I have been thinking a lot about that film. It was amazing how much of the film fixated on the fear of aging.

I like your fierce rejection of the message that growing older is to be dreaded. I want to define getting older for myself -- and that does not include fighting what is natural. And it doesn't include sucumbing to cultural beliefs about what aging looks like or means. I learned how to do this from punk rock (and it saved my life as a teenager). I try not to forget it.
Donna

Liz B. said...

It is hard not to succumb! The more I think about the film, the more I realize...the women were the ones who feared aging. The one old man in the movie, the wall gatekeeper, was very old...and kicking everyone's ass!

It's funny, being pregnant and watching my boobs get heavier and change, watching my body go to mush, I realize it is meant to be. I mean, I look forward to being able to return to my rigorous yoga practice, but the workout here is internal.

Yay punk rock...I was never a conventional looking girl, nobody knew what to make of me. "What are you?" I heard a lot. Growing up in east Texas, anyway.

Thankfully with punk rock I knew that being unique was ultimately a very, very good thing.

McSherrie said...

You have and will always be a babe! Don't ever doubt it. I would totally have lesbian fantasies about you if I had lesbian fantasies.

Maybe I'll write one anyway. ;)

Oooh! I wrote up a dream the other day. I need to remember to send it to you and all the other lusious ladies from class. Thanks for reminding me - or rahter, allowing me to remind myself. ;)


Obligatory Ultrasound Photo: Shoulderstand at 16 weeks!