Again, typing while breastfeeding.
Carrie Contey recommended "Touchpoints" by Brazelton to me when I asked about developmental milestones.
She only slightly hesitated, because truthfully it's less crazymaking and better for the baby if new parents follow the baby's lead with milestones, rather than try to force them on him/her, or expect milestones when baby's not ready yet. Etc.
I think most new parents probably worry about this shit. And totally buy into it when we don't need to.
And so it begins, the induction into the world of consumerist capitalist fear-based self image.
I pretty successfully ditched all the "What to Expect" books and their ilk. I even ditched Dr. Sears, for a time.
I like the Brazelton.
He talks about a baby's nervous system, and he talks about it from the baby's perspective.
I was reflecting today how quite possibly the "La Leche" approach, which seemingly holds that breastfeeding is a panacea for all ills, might be slightly arrogant on the part of us bf'ing mothers.
Maybe we just wish we were all things to our baby. Maybe we should offer pacifiers, daddy's chest, a chance for baby to "cry it out" when they're too fussy to feed.
In fact, I'm really talking about myself here. I'm trying to take the approach (and it's ALL a great big experiment) of first taking a deep breath, taking care of myself, then letting the little one hang out at the breast. If he's hungry, he'll eat. If he's overstimulated, he'll cry. And I'll let him. I experimented with this today. A lot of us hate to hear our babies cry.
So I really listened to his cry today. At first, it really made me sore that he sobbed when daddy put him on the bfing pillow. For weeks now, feeding has been the ultimate soother for him. (See how my ego has gotten involved? Ay yi yi.) Lately I've had to start putting a blanket over his head just so he'll eat. Otherwise he loves to visit with me, look around, chat it up, try to get ME to smile at HIM, etc.
It's darn cute, but I am his mama and I know he needs to eat!
Hence the blanket, which actually helps.
So again, today, when he cried and cried at the breast, I listened, and it seemed to be getting less as he cried, rather than more. It sounded more like grumpiness from being awakened from a nap than pain. And it wasn't a wet diaper. So I let him feel his feelings and express them. Then, sure enough, after about 5 minutes, he calmed himself down, and turned to the breast. I took a deep deep breath, which communicated to him that I was calm and he could relax too if he wanted. So then he ate a while, and fell asleep. Yay!
It really and truly is a DANCE, as they say.
And I realized, today, that I will only be feeding him breastmilk exclusively for another three months. Then it's solid food in addition to bmilk. So this time we have now is even more precious! Grueling or challenging as it may be.
I also assume he's in a growth spurt, which means he's taking in more information and stimulus, and needs more time to "Cry it out" or feel his feelings and then sleeeeep to integrate it all.
WHEW!
I need a parenting yoga teacher to watch me with him and give me instructions. And then I can try them out at home, on our own.
It's the same thing, really.
I can offer my students one thing in class; it's their home practice that really informs them.
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(96)
-
▼
January
(16)
- Head Trip
- Mothering As Meditation Practice
- RIP Laptop
- bottle boy
- Yoga and Discernment
- Today's Gift
- Giving and Receiving
- The Whole Tooth
- Conscious Birthing reunion
- New Parent Mania
- A Little New Mama FYI
- still breastfeeding while typing
- typing while breastfeeding
- My Devoleb
- I Love This Pic of Me and My Bodhi
- Scenes From A Happy New Year
-
▼
January
(16)
Obligatory Ultrasound Photo: Shoulderstand at 16 weeks!
3 comments:
GOOD FOR YOU!
I wonder if you have any idea how totally cool it is for me and probably other pregnant moms to be to hear all this. Personally, I also feel so intimidated. How the heck do you know what to do? How did you figure out the blanket thing? How am I supposed to do what you do?
Usually looking forward to the challenge, sometimes afraid I won't figure it out...
keep sharing whatever you are comfortable with. It's AWESOME. Thanks.
Aw, shucks. You are going to be GREAT.
It is very intimidating...but I don't think anything could have prepared me for this. So don't you dare stay up reading parenting books, just trust and know that when the time comes, you'll know what to do. And you'll get help as needed.
I got the blanket trick from one of my friends in my NEW MOM GROUP. I'm telling you, other mamas are the font of wisdom!
We were all just hanging out, and I was trying to nurse Bodhi but he kept crying. We finally figured out he was getting distracted by the fishtank behind me. So new mama Jenny (whose son is also a big boy, and a wild man at that!) told me she had to put a blanket over his head...and even had started nursing him in a dark room!
So I tried it, and it worked.
Post a Comment