Thursday, January 17, 2008

Today's Gift

Well, as for today's gift, I like the suggestion I got from my CB new moms group today: to walk baby around the house and bid goodnight to everyone and everything. Cool!

I'm getting into establishing some sort of ritual for bedtime with the whole family. It's hard for me, a night owl, to do this. But it's so much better for everyone if we actually get to sleep before midnight. The babe has been sleeping for 4-6 hours at a time, and it's gotten magically easier to nurse him in the bed than it has ever been.

So I have a few more hours of sleep at night. Then I have the morning to drink coffee and do an actual yoga practice, with Bodhi in the swing watching me or continuing to sleep.

It's kind of like Heaven.

I went to my first postnatal yoga class today and it was sweet. It wasn't much of a yoga practice, but it was nice to see all the other mommies and babies, and I think a lot of Summer, the teacher. Her gift to me was holding Andrew Bodhi while I actually zoned out for a minute in savasana!

She also had us do nadi shodhana without using our hands. I've practiced that before -- alternate nostril breathing -- without hands. It's good to remember I can do that.

I like to treat nursing the baby as though it were a meditation. And it is.

We had a super sleepy day yesterday and today.

I am really enjoying being able to nap with the baby during the day. Like long, luxurious naps. Where I almost am starting to maybe sort of feel human again.

Plus he's soooo cute when he wakes up.

We had a long day of socializing and interacting and being in the car and shit today. He's passed out right now, as I type this. I'm ready to eat dinner and go to bed.

My idea of a productive day has dramatically changed.

Now, just getting a bath, or breastfeeding in public, is enough of an accomplishment for me. If we'd had a poop diaper I'd have felt invincible. Who gives a damn about how many poems I write or dishes I wash?

Oh, and Thanks, God, for making it so cold outside. Much easier to bundle up and snuggle all day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Dharma of motherhood, my friend. And there will be this whole new perspective and vast amounts of experience to pull from when you ARE writing poetry regularly again. There is no way forward but through it. You are an amazing person. And you are an amazing mom.

Blog Archive


Obligatory Ultrasound Photo: Shoulderstand at 16 weeks!