Tuesday, February 19, 2008

New Photos!




Here are some random pics of the Bodhi-boy; I still have no computer, except for the (very) occasional use of Dad's desktop.

Bern, I *am* going to learn how to blog from my cellphone...then there will be NO END to the phone pics!

I attended "Part Two" of my teacher Mary's yoga and discernment immersion series last weekend. Physically speaking, I not only found myself doing several hours of intense asana practice the likes of which I haven't done in over a year, I actually did a couple of things I have never been able to do before. Now, it's not that the poses themselves are so important, but the trust I've been able to experience in my body again has been...vital. And again, we keep asking ourselves the question "WHO showed up to practice today? WHO is it that is doing this pose?"

Emotionally speaking it was simply great to be among such deeply caring, earnest, seeking souls.

Mary's teaching was on fire, in a way I haven't seen her for quite some time. It was very clear that her teaching comes right out of an intense, committed, personal practice. It's an honor to be able to share that. As a teacher, it's important that I have this kind of practice to share with MY students. So everything I do at this point in my life has to be fodder for teaching. Even though my asana practice has been much less intense than it was before, my life-practice is taking me deeper into territories unexplored. I'm having to practice ALL of the yogic principles of truth, non-violence, focus, surrender, self-study, cleanliness, non-clinging, discipline, ETCETERA.

It really does parallel some parenting principles I'm working on. And yet ultimately, the best teacher is what you learn from your own experience, although we all need guidance from time to time. And we need support.

We need a Mama-Sangha!

Back to the immersion.

We discussed principles from the Bhagavad Gita, among other things. We talked about how to (try to) live and make decisions that are not based in DESIRE or FEAR. It made me think of an Anne Waldman poem, "Hopes and Fears." (which I am searching for online and cannot find...dang!) Anyway, those are the two pillars between which our life-pendulum swings, DESIRE and FEAR.

We actually talked a lot about the Buddha and his life story, how he had studied with several great masters in his search for enlightenment, until finally he just sat down under the Bodhi tree. He sat down in remembrance of his childhood, and the simple joy he felt while resting under a tree one day. His goal was to obtain THAT kind of peace of mind. And then, once he had it again, he knew he had to teach others how to obtain it.

Being with my child is really asking me to see the world as a newcomer would see it. I am teaching him about all the simple things, like turning on a light, or washing a dish, but also about how sweet it is to go outside and feel the breeze on his skin, or notice the red flowers blooming on the bushes in the yard. We don't have a lot of toys for him yet. Most of our time together is spent sleeping, nursing, or lately, practicing sitting up. I'm so excited to have a little yoga student in my care!

Okay, more to come soon...

2 comments:

Bernadette said...

Oh, the toys are all around you and part of you too. Your body is a big climbing toy. And a blanket is for hide and seek. An orange is a ball. And on and on and on.

I am loving your parenting/yoga comparisons. They are giving me much food for thought.

xo Bern

Yoga Music Mama said...

Desire vs. fear. That really hits home with me right now.

It's inspiring to be reminded to step back and start with basic values!

I have a list of the yamas and niyamas up on my refrigerator. I need to practice on a day or one a week for awhile.

You ARE practicing yoga in every minute with this new being! I can't wait to know what that feels like.

I need to practice patience and surrender in the waiting stage.

Thanks for the awesome word of wisdom!


Obligatory Ultrasound Photo: Shoulderstand at 16 weeks!