Sunday, February 3, 2008

Yoga A-Go-Ga

It is so beautiful outside today.

I was lucky enough for my husband to babysit while I slept in a little late, then have had the last couple of hours to drink coffee, do yoga, and now sit and blog for a moment.

Heaven!

We hauled some blankets and my old-faithful beat up practice mat outside, where Andrew read Harry Potter while baby cooed and mama practiced. Tito, our chihuahua, met the neighbor dog Baggy, a Beagle (undoubtedly named by his kid owners) and the dad of Baggy, our neighbor Michael. It was extremely pleasant.

All day and night I have these fantasy blog entries I write in my head, only to sit down for the precious minutes I have to actually blog and I write this crap.

Oh well.

I've come to relish the mundane. The everyday existence. The beauty of laundry.

I mean it.

I've noticed that a number of my friends, people I really thought were Good Friends, have dropped away since the baby was born. This pains me, in a way. But in another way, I've bonded with some new (and old) moms and some Baby Sympathizers that has been profound BEYOND what I experienced with said Good Friends.

This is life in the trenches, folks. You hear about the great dramatic device of setting a story during wartime. (Think "Gone With the Wind." "Schindler's List." "Apocalypse Now.") Well. Daily parenting is high drama, enacted in the dark secret confines of a bedroom or, in our case, the living room last night, when our dog ate half a box of fudge and we had to feed him hydrogen peroxide so he'd vomit it up. And meanwhile, our baby spit up half a gallon of milk on my chest, thighs, and yoga mat. Our best laid plans of a gentle bath, reading, and bed, were thwarted for a time. There was even going to be a meditation practice thrown in there somewhere, until Tito scarfed down chocolate.

One blog entry I am working on is a list of advice tidbits for brand new moms. Little things. Like have a cute stuffed animal posted at the diaper changing station.

Okay, my microwave lasagna is calling.

That's another thing, if I may be so bold as to skip around in an illogical fashion here on my blog entry.

I totally had the fantasy that I would really, no really, learn to cook for my family and that by now we'd be eating farmer's market fresh produce every day. I went so far as to make homemade -- with the help of a mix -- Italian salad dressing, but we are still cocooning to the point where I never seem to make it out to the farmer's market, or frankly even the store. That is dad's job, still.

Anyway, that's on my list of failures. Or to-dos, one day.

I do seem to have a knack for making anything I cook taste good. So that's a plus.

5 comments:

whatnot said...

It has been a while, but I remember the shift in friends. Plus I only had two coworkers with kids—lots of resentment from those who didn't understand why I needed a whole SIX WEEKS off work just because I had a baby. ha!

My domestication fantasy involved sewing or crocheting every stitch of clothing my family might need. That illusion lasted about a month, but now both my boys at least have a "favorite blankie" made by me.

I love what you write, vomiting depictions or no. I hope you never stop.

Anonymous said...

Liz, as a regular commenter on this here blog, I have to say that one woman's "crap" is another woman's very pleasurable reading. You may remember, I bet, not long ago you were the soon to be mom and any little insight, tidbit, or "crap" you got was like a gem of wisdom. "Oh, so that's how it might be!"

Christina Sell said...

A friend-from-the-wayside here, checing in! I am not in your physical presence these days but please know that I am thinking of you and speaking of you a lot!

Not being a mom myself, but being friends with many, my experience is usually that my friends who have babies "drop off the planet" for a while, connect with other new and experienced moms, dive into the "war zone" of parenting and then in a year or so, I see them and we go from there...

Obviously there are variations on the theme but in general, I have seen it enough that I trust the process of it all and I know that new rythms get established over time.

I taught in Corpus this weekend and there were several students who were introduced to Anusara Yoga through you and so you were very much "there" for me.

Anyway- love reading your blog. Keep wirting- organized or not, I like it all. Love.

Liz B. said...

Aw, these comments warm my heart!

I have really been looking at my own ability to move into the darker parts of my psyche. I had a therapist who always complimented my ability to do so, since most people are afraid to wander around through their dark sides...but also that sometimes it seemed I was a little *too* comfortable there!

And Christina, you are so right on; I know that the time will come, soon enough, that we will all be hanging out together again. You need to meet my little yoga baby! I truly have dropped off the face of the planet, so to speak.

Dawn said...

Hi, Liz. Dawn, prenatal teacher, here. Congratulations. I am so happy to see photos of AB. I get so out of the loop with all the mamas and babies that come through my class, but it is such a joy to see the babies when I do. I found a link to your blog on Christina Sell's site. I want to comment on the transition of friends issue. I had this same experience quite dramatically when the girlcubs were born. There are friends who still haven't met the girls and they are almost three now. It was heartbreaking for me especially since getting out with two babies could be so difficult alone at first. But I found so many new and supportive friends once I did get out. And a few of the people who seemed to flutter away as soon as the girls came into the world did return and are now a strong supportive force in our lives. I think sometimes it is hard for friends without children to know exactly what their place is in your new relationship with baby and your new identity as mama. I also wanted to comment on an earlier post you made quoting an article about the spiritual practice of motherhood: In my first crazy sleep-deprived year with the girls, my practice seemed non-existent. I made the comment to my friend Liz Quigg about this and she said "Dawn, you practice Sadhana every day when you get up every hour on the hour at night to nurse those two babies." And yes, she was right. So, many blessings to you and your family. If you ever need anything please truly drop me an email: dawn@matashakti.com.


Obligatory Ultrasound Photo: Shoulderstand at 16 weeks!