Thursday, October 11, 2007

ObGyn Report

So I'm going in every week to do a biophysical profile of the baby via ultrasound, followed by an exam of my cervix, followed by a non-stress test on the baby.

Now I can see how and why some women consider these tests invasive. I'm still trying to enjoy them, but I can feel the pressure building on artificially inducing labor, which I do not want to do.

Every week the results are very good. The baby has dropped down deeper in the pelvis, he's head down, butt up, he still kicks around a lot, there's plenty of amniotic fluid left, placenta looks great, my cervix is soft but not dilated, I have gained no more weight, baby's NST is awesome.

Based on the ultrasound, they think he weighs about 8 pounds 15 ounces...give or take a pound in either direction.

I can feel him pressing down lower into my pelvis. It's very heavy. More pee pee. More often.

Luckily the office was so busy today my question about getting a flu shot got lost in the shuffle. I take that as a sign from God that I am not meant to have one.

They mentioned induction again today; his due date is next Tuesday. SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT ALREADY! Dang. I understand why MDs get concerned about "over 40 moms." But there really doesn't need to be this culture of fear around it. I know, and you know, that they're not gonna make me do anything I don't want to do, but come on man.

Meanwhile, I am going to do everything I know how to do to let him know we are READY. More acupuncture, more raspberry and nettle tea, another massage of the forbidden points, and most of all RELAXATION. Nothing lets a cervix know she's okay and can just go ahead and let go and open like taking it nice and easy.

It's interesting that now Mercury is going into retrograde. My astrologer friend always assures me (a Gemini, ruled by Mercury) that it's really just a signal to take it easier, slower, and go even deeper into self-reflection. Mercury is the planet that governs communications. So many times there are mixups, miscommunications, computers going down...

I know that it's futile to try to sign contracts, for example.

But I don't know what it means to be born during Mercury retrograde. Perhaps it'll be a good thing for Hercules, given his Mercurial mother who tends to make snap decisions and say things before she should. Maybe it'll mean he's going to be a deep thinker and feeler.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go have a heart to heart talk with my cervix. If everyone could just visualize those rose petals opening...

No comments:

Blog Archive


Obligatory Ultrasound Photo: Shoulderstand at 16 weeks!