Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Eating Bon Bons All Day Long

Yesterday (Tuesday) was a nice day.

I'm up after midnight, insomniac again. But the day was great.

I unwound from my traumatic weekend and went to get another prenatal massage from the fabulous Liz Quigg. My hips have been ACHING, and of course so has my lower belly. She did a great job on my hips and in clearing out some fear energy. I'd had a tension headache for two days.

I'm glad I was able to snore and drool and relax for a minute.

I also consider LQ an expert on the uterus. She told me some wonderful information about the uterus, how it actually moves and feels when it's doing practice labor surges, and how it contracts and expands during the actual birth. Did you know it has patterns of movement? Like it starts squeezing at the top, moves down, then either sort of ping-pongs across or spirals around to urge the baby out? I love envisioning the uterus as doing her own spiral dancing.

It's that Shakti thing again. The chrysalis inside the cocoon beating its wings.

And by the way, am I the last person on earth to learn about all these cool things? Where have I been?

It reminds me of a fake editorial I saw in "The Onion," written by a 12 year old boy who couldn't believe that everyone had been keeping Bruce Lee a secret from him all these years.

That's how I feel. HOW COULD I HAVE NOT KNOWN ABOUT THE MIGHTY UTERUS ALL THESE YEARS?

And you call yourself a feminist, NeoMystic. A champion of women.

Oy.

Oh, and then after my massage I went and got a pedicure. Yes. And watched "Oprah" while getting it.

ALSO we went to our first "Conscious Birthing" class Monday night. Loved it. Every single mama in the room (I think there were six, including our instructor) is "due" to give birth in October. And all of us (except the instructor) are apparently planning a hospital birth. I was really shocked by that. I thought for sure I'd be the least granola crunch in there, but turns out I may be the most crunchy after all.

At one point during class, we were learning pain-coping techniques...and I found myself clutching a handful of ice while being distracted by Heart's "Barracuda" blasting away on the stereo...it was fun. We also made our own "laborinths," drawings of the labyrinthine process of going through labor. It was actually the perfect metaphor and I LOVE that we're going to be making crazy birth art, creating an altar, and doing all kinds of fun, self-conscious creative work to break through a lot of layers of bullshit.


Okay, friends, I must go and listen to my "Rainbow Relaxation." Ta!

No comments:

Blog Archive


Obligatory Ultrasound Photo: Shoulderstand at 16 weeks!